Tuesday, November 30, 2010

When I grow up I wanna be......

Great words heard by children of all ages, "When I grow up I wanna be...." My answer was always the same, a teacher. In all my childhood years, teenage years, and on to adulthood, I have never wavered from this dream. But that's what it always was, a dream. I was given a talent. I am a good teacher. Almost every job I have had for any length of time, I have been made into a trainer. I have a talent to retain information and relay it to others. My longest job has been working at Compass Bank. I was able to train new employees for years there. I loved writing lesson plans, grading, coming in before and after my scheduled time to prepare the agenda for the day. Well recently, I started thinking this does not have to be a dream anymore. My oldest sister Melissa is graduating from law school this month, and she did not give up, and either should I. Around 7 years ago my friend Lindsey was graduating from ASU and was getting her degree in elementary education. I had met Lindsey while waitressing. She was the same age as me. I can vividly remember the tears that ran down my cheek as I was sitting at her graduation as a single Mom with my 3 year old son on my lap. I cried because she was living my dream. She had done it. Completed college and had the degree I so badly wanted. I need to stop dreaming and just do it!

No comments: